Our monthly NUDI nights feature a showcase of awards for themed shoots submitted in the Photo Challenge and judged by members and friends over cocktails held in different venues. About 50 participants come to NUDI Nights–sharing experiences, learning from each other, and appreciating the works of fellow underwater photographers.
Watch out every month for the winning underwater photo entries in exhibits around the metro and via online social media.
PHOTO CHALLENGE RULESView Page
1. All NUDI friends and NUDI members may join the monthly Photo Challenge, which takes place during the monthly NUDI Night.
2. There are two (2) categories: “Compact” (photos taken using a point and shoot or prosumer camera) and “dSLR” (photos taken using SLR or Micro 4/3).
3. Photo Challenge participants may submit only one (1) entry during a particular monthly Photo Challenge. The participant must have personally taken the photo and must have ownership of the same.
4. The entry must be printed in size 8 inches x 10 inches or 8 inches x 12 inches, preferably with resolution of 300 dpi.
5. The monthly Photo Challenge themes for 2013 NUDI calendar are:
January 2013 – “NUDI CUP – Macro”
February 2013 – “Nudibranchs
March 2013 – “Ambient Light/Silhouette”
April 2013 – “NUDI CUP – Anything Goes”
May 2013 – “Schools”
June 2013 – “Shells”
July 2013 – “Scorpionfish Famly”
August 2013 – “Finding Nemo Part 2″
September 2013 – “Marine Animal Behavior”
October 2013 – “NUDI CUP – Wide Angle”
November 2013 – “Patterns/Abstract”
6. The entry may have been taken any time prior to the monthly Photo Challenge concerned.
7. Each entry shall be assigned a number. The photographer of the entry will not be divulged until after judging has been completed. Please refrain from affixing watermark on your entry.
8. Judging shall be done by all NUDI members and NUDI friends present during the particular monthly NUDI Night/Photo Challenge. Criteria for judging are:
- Photo ‘fit’ and relevance to category
• How well does the photo meet the criteria of the category it is in?
• Are the items of interest placed well in the photo?
• Are there distracting elements?
• Is the subject matter pictured in a unique way or is a common item shown from an interesting point-of-view?
• Does the photo demonstrate originality?
• Has the photographer used light in interest ways?
- Technical quality
• Is the photo in focus?
• Is lighting in balance?
• Is depth of field considered/used?
• Is shutter speed varied or adjusted to be appropriate for the photo?
- Overall Impression
• Is the photo able to grab the viewer’s attention and hold it?
• What is the ‘wow’ factor? Are there any special effects, or extras?
9. Taking into consideration the above criteria, all attending NUDI members and NUDI friends shall choose their top 5 photos among all the entries per category.
10. Three photos for each category will be selected every month which will garner 1st to 3rd places. The 1st place entry per category will be featured in the annual NUDI calendar, the first compiled in 2012. The monthly 1st place winners shall consent to the use of their entries in the NUDI annual calendar.
11. Photographer points will be awarded to the 3 winners per category of the monthly Photo Challenge, with 15, 20, 25 points, respectively. Photographer points will also be credited toward NUDI membership.
12. The over-all top 5 photo entries voted per category may not be re-submitted as photo entries in the succeeding Photo Challenges.
13. The member with the highest total accumulated membership points by the 12th month of each Contest Year will be given the NUDI Photographer of the Year award. The Photographer of the Year will have a special page in the Annual NUDI calendar.
Copyright © 2011 - Network of Underwater Digital Imagers Inc. - All rights reserved.